Simple calcium alginate dressing
Calcium alginate dressing is composed of alginic maluranic and gluronic acid. The exchange between calcium ions of dressing with sodium ions in the wound environment leads to formation of hydrogel, which absorbs wound exudates.
- There is no need to change dressing regularly.
- This dressing will be effective even if the subcutaneous layer of the epidermis extends to the dermis.
- This type of dressing is used to manage the absorbing and keeping the medium to high wound exudates.
- Calcium alginate dressing benefits from high flexibility and can be transformed into various geometric shapes, which results in filling the under treatment point.
- In addition to absorbing the natural wound exudates and changing them to gel, calcium alginate dressing can control and facilitate the healing process by keeping the wound environment moist.
Simple calcium alginate dressing applications
The most important applications of calcium alginate dressing, which can greatly help the healing process of the wounds are as follow:
- Leg ulcer
- Pressure ulcer
- Diabetic foot ulcer
- surgical wounds
- Venous ulcer
- Arterial ulcer
- Cavity wound
- post-operative surgical wounds
How to use dressing?
After washing and removing infected colonies from the wound, the skin around the wound should be dried. After that, the dressing is chosen based on the dimension and geometry of the wound.
The dressing on the wound is fixed via usage of a transparent film or a sterile gauze. Drugs can sometimes be used to provide antibacterial properties for the wound; but, the dressing should not interact with the drug.